Reading Town Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday

+5
pa00cs
BenOBagels
RTFC Barmy Army
Reading Fan Dan
Koshi
9 posters

Go down

Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday Empty Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday

Post  Koshi Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Anyone go, any details/ideas of what was said about raising funds for ground improvements etc?

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday Empty Re: Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday

Post  Reading Fan Dan Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:19 am

I'd also be interested in hearing a summary of today's meeting. As I coach a youth football team on Saturday mornings I was unable to attend the meeting. Perhaps RTFC Barmy Army could give us his thoughts as I'm sure he would have attended?

Reading Fan Dan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-04

http://bandwagonintown.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday Empty Re: Open supporters meeting at Scours Lane yesterday

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 am

I was in fact there Dan. Meeting discussed what needs to be done to the ground so the club can get promoted, so that means 2 more turnstiles, 100 more seats, a door from the toilets which leads you back outiside. The Dugouts need to be slightly adjusted to make them bigger. Other things were mentioned as well, then discussed how to funrasie for example the Golden Gate club where you put in £30 and your name goes on a special plaque inside the gates and also something similar with bricks. Also other ideas for example having a club shop, getting more business to advertise at the ground etc.

There's probably some things which I didn't mention!!
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:12 pm

As i've mentioned before John, they could do with better sign posting to Scours Lane as you are practically on top of the ground before you see any mention of it. Maybe one in Broad Street and Oxford Road?

The club shop sounds good as i would probably buy an RT shirt if i was going to attend more games. Do they ever do some kind of raffle there for a prize?

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Out of interest how many attended the meeting?

I agree that with the relevant signage perhaps Town can promote themselves to the uneducated that an up and coming non-league team are on their doorstep. I know of a few RFC fans who go and watch Maidenhead United or Bracknell Town. RTFC need to poach these fans and get them to Scours Lane.

Is their a large sign on the Oxford Road promoting the next home game? Like the one RFC have outside the Mad Stad?

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 am

Not sure about any sign down Oxford Road showing the next fixture, unless it's down closer to the ground, as i've not been down Oxford Road for a while. I think they could do with a sign in the town where Oxford Road meets the Butts where a large amount of the towns population will be able to see it.

One problem is there hasn't been much promotion of the club from what i know over the years, and the team has remained fairly static i.e step 5 level. I've known about the team for a number of years due to knowledge of local football, but unless people have any grasp of this, or have heard about RT through word of mouth the odds are they would assume RT are a sunday park side.I certainly know a few like that anyway, although i have done my bit to explain about the Pyramid system and where RT relate to the football league.

RT are now in the best position in their history to advance to the next level, and it is absolutely vital that all concerned with the club are doing their bit to promote it.

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

There is no sign down the Oxford Road. It was said at the meeting that they'd asked the council about one some time ago, but it was rejected because the council felt people looking to go to RFC (when they were Elm Park, which gives some impression of just how long ago) would get confused and think that was it.

Mansfield Town at the weekend had a pay what you want thing for their game and got more than double their average gate. Perhaps a similar scheme would be worth a go?

Koshi wrote:The club shop sounds good as i would probably buy an RT shirt if i was going to attend more games.

Fancy a scarf? If ye do then get to the Ardley game at the weekend and buy one with the money going towards the ground improvements the club needs for promotion. Wink
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 am

What's the deal with Royals fans about a cut price admission to Scours Lane matches on the production of their season-ticket?

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:25 am

BenOBagels wrote:There is no sign down the Oxford Road. It was said at the meeting that they'd asked the council about one some time ago, but it was rejected because the council felt people looking to go to RFC (when they were Elm Park, which gives some impression of just how long ago) would get confused and think that was it.

Mansfield Town at the weekend had a pay what you want thing for their game and got more than double their average gate. Perhaps a similar scheme would be worth a go?
I've got 20 Stotinki left from my last trip to Bulgaria and a couple of green shield stamps leftover from the 1970's if that will help? Wink

Fancy a scarf? If ye do then get to the Ardley game at the weekend and buy one with the money going towards the ground improvements the club needs for promotion. Wink

Well RFC once held a pants day at the Madstad what about a scarf day at the Lane? btw how much are the scarfs?

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 am

£7.00.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:24 am

BenOBagels wrote:£7.00.

How many do you have to sell? I want one but can't attend this weekends game. However I will be at the Highworth game on the 20th. Will any leftover be sold then?

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:25 am

Reading Fan Dan wrote:
BenOBagels wrote:£7.00.

How many do you have to sell? I want one but can't attend this weekends game. However I will be at the Highworth game on the 20th. Will any leftover be sold then?

The Club brought 50 scarves, quite a few have been sold already by I suspect there will be some when you visit Scours Lane on the 20th.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:23 am

Koshi wrote:What's the deal with Royals fans about a cut price admission to Scours Lane matches on the production of their season-ticket?

RFC season ticket holders can get in for half-price upon the production of their season ticket for the rest of the month, I think it is.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Back to top Go down

Post  pa00cs Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 am

Hi everyone,

Koshi, were you at the sun and county arms sunday league game? You said you watch a bit of local/sunday league.
pa00cs
pa00cs

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

pa00cs wrote:Hi everyone,

Koshi, were you at the sun and county arms sunday league game? You said you watch a bit of local/sunday league.

Hi mate

No, wasn't at that particular game....i mainly follow the Whitley based teams i.e Tavern,South Reading,Rabsons Rovers etc in both the saturday and sunday leagues if i've not got other prior engagements, but i keep an eye on other results as well.

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamessupportersince2010 Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:46 am

This is a late response to this thread, but I have only been on the forum for a day. I read about this meeting and the ambition that Roland Ford has to turn RTFC into the second largest club in Berkshire in the Reading Post. I did not go to the open day, but did come along for a game.

I am a London Irish fan and season ticket holder first but have managed 6 games at RTFC. I talked a few friends into coming to games in the 2010/2011 season. The best thing is to get relatives, friends and colleagues to try RTFC once, then maybe they will come again.
Jamessupportersince2010
Jamessupportersince2010

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2010-06-11

http://readingtownfansanarmyofone.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:38 am

Jamessupportersince2010 wrote:This is a late response to this thread, but I have only been on the forum for a day. I read about this meeting and the ambition that Roland Ford has to turn RTFC into the second largest club in Berkshire in the Reading Post. I did not go to the open day, but did come along for a game.

I am a London Irish fan and season ticket holder first but have managed 6 games at RTFC. I talked a few friends into coming to games in the 2010/2011 season. The best thing is to get relatives, friends and colleagues to try RTFC once, then maybe they will come again.

Once people come to a game they get over the hurdle of thinking that Non League football is rubbish and find out it very enjoyable and lot of fun. They then get hooked and come to a good amount of games during the season and let's hope some join the Barmy Army for a sing song.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading til i die Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 am

I'm a relative "New Boy" on here, but the club should try to drum up some more interest in their Youth Team and perhaps promote them a bit more.

I know that both Thatcham and Didcot promote their Youth Team games on their website and offer reduced admission, etc. Alot of the Youth Team will have mates who will want to come and support their mates as well as family.

From what I hear the Youth Team could be getting a new manager and some new blood so it could be a good idea to let everyone know about it. New blood could mean new fans!

Also, what's going on with the "official" website? Doesn't look like it's been updated for a while which doesn't exactly look very professional and doesn't send out the right signals for anyone viewing the site.

Feel free to mock the "New Boy" but these are just a few things I've noticed.

Reading til i die

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  unit Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:05 am

Promoting any non-league club is [******] hard. With so many benifits of supporting a non league club, you would think everyone would turn up.
1..VALUE FOR MONEY
2..Friendly atmosphere
3..everyone knows your name
4..missed if you dont turnup
But for some reason I think some people may believe non league clubs are a bit cliquey.
I'm sure if me and my boy turn up to RTFC, we would be made welcome with open arms.
We have the same issues at Hayes. But our problem is so many London teams near by. I bet amonst your fan base you have many people with marketing/promoting ideas but no money to "go for it"
unit
unit

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BRAMLEY Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 am

unit wrote:Promoting any non-league club is [******] hard. With so many benifits of supporting a non league club, you would think everyone would turn up.
1..VALUE FOR MONEY
2..Friendly atmosphere
3..everyone knows your name
4..missed if you dont turnup
But for some reason I think some people may believe non league clubs are a bit cliquey.
I'm sure if me and my boy turn up to RTFC, we would be made welcome with open arms.
We have the same issues at Hayes. But our problem is so many London teams near by. I bet amonst your fan base you have many people with marketing/promoting ideas but no money to "go for it"

You are in my opinion spot on with all 4 points made. There is a warmth about non league footie that does not exist in many Football League Clubs. There are numerous non league clubs to watch in the London area as well as the big boys in the Premiership. I previously supported Edgware Town before their demise, because I was brought up there, but made many friends as a result and now also like to get to Enfield Town as well as RTFC.
Certainly RTFC has always been a most welcoming Club and will continue to be so.
BRAMLEY
BRAMLEY

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down