Reading Town Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat

3 posters

Go down

Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat Empty Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat

Post  Ass-man Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:05 am

Boss Stuart Scammell has backed his squad to steer clear of relegation despite slipping to their fourth straight defeat on Tuesday evening. The Yellamen went down 5-0 against Hellenic Premier Division title chasers Reading Town at Scours Lane. And Scammell says it is time for the players to cut out the individual mistakes. He said: "I still believe we have assembled a great squad, capable of playing winning football at any level of the amateur game. There is absolutely no question of me looking to bring in new players. I back these players to the hilt. It's time to batten down the hatches, build a brick wall around this group and have a look at ourselves. But as a coach there is not much more I can do. I thought he had turned a corner with our performance against Old Woodstock, but the players have to go out on the pitch and do it."

On Tuesday two goals from Aaron Parfitt and one from former Bracknell skipper Michael Buck gave Town a 3-0 half time lead before they killed off the game with two more goals in the last five minutes. Scammell said: "They were a proper long ball side. Crash bang, get it from back to front as quickly as you can. We didn't help ourselves, some of our defending was nonsensical. We put a bow on it and some fancy wrapping. But at the end of the season we won't be judged on how we do against sides like Reading Town. It's about how we do against the sides around us."

United continue on Saturday with a home clash against Pegasus Juniors. Scammell is looking for a reaction from his players. "It is absolutely massive, it really is. We are not bottom of the league yet, but we are starting to look over our shoulder. Our aim this season was to establish ourselves in this league and so far we have failed to do that. However, I have a points target in my head of what I would like to achieve and I still firmly believe that is possible."

United are sweating over the fitness of star striker Jon Bennett (pictured) for that clash after he limped off in Tuesday evening's defeat at Scours Lane. The Ascot hot-shot was injured in a tackle that resulted in a straight red card for a Reading Town player. And the Yellamen could be forced to fight on without last season's top scorer for some time. Scammell comments:: "We are still waiting to see what the doctor says, but losing Jon would be an absolutely massive blow for us. It was an absolute horror challenge, straight on the ankle, and so we had to haul him off. He was able to put some weight on it after the game, so we are all hoping for the best."

Bennett's injury came just two days after another United stalwart, centre back Nick Curtis, was ruled out for three months with ankle ligament damage. Scammell added: "That was another terrible tackle. I thought we used up all our bad luck when we lost 7-0 to Highworth Town the previous week, but obviously someone up there has it in for us at the moment."
Ass-man
Ass-man

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat Empty Re: Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat

Post  BRAMLEY Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Ass-man - Stuart is obviously talking up their capabilities to reassure their fan base.
Probably concerned that their away following may desert in droves!!
BRAMLEY
BRAMLEY

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat Empty Re: Reaction from Ascot after Town defeat

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I am still not sure why the never went into the changing rooms at half time and also at full time. Though they did manage to find their way to clubhouse after the game Laughing

Ascot's manager is probably trying to ressure the fans and also incourage the players that they can do well in this league.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down