Reading Town Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Town support

+3
etfc
RTFC Barmy Army
Koshi No2
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reading Town support Empty Reading Town support

Post  Koshi No2 Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Can someone tell me why Reading Town's attendances are so [****]? i know the few in the Barmy Army make a lot of noise and make the an otherwise sparse support seem better, but why are the crowds so low? Is it because the success of Reading FC, or the location of Scours Lane to get to? I see there are clubs from Hellenic Div one that have a bigger support averagely.
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Reading Town support Empty Re: Reading Town support

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:38 am

Boza wrote:Can someone tell me why Reading Town's attendances are so [****]? i know the few in the Barmy Army make a lot of noise and make the an otherwise sparse support seem better, but why are the crowds so low? Is it because the success of Reading FC, or the location of Scours Lane to get to? I see there are clubs from Hellenic Div one that have a bigger support averagely.

I think the average gate at home is about 50-60 which it isn't too bad but could be improved. To do that you would have to let people know that Reading which is a large Town do have 2nd team. So to try and achieve the objective you would have to advertise on the radio, give flyers and leaflets out, put columns in the paper etc. Which does cost a fair bit and doesn't always work but worth a try!!! Reading FC does play a big part, as when they are doing well (eg in the Prem) then people are more likely to spend their well earned cash to watch a high level of football and also to see the likes of Man United, Chelsea play ect. On the other hand if Reading were to slump down to League 2 or even the conference then people will be less willing to pay over the odds to watch a game of footie which isn't always to a good standard. I still think Reading FC should play Reading Town in a pre-season at Scours Lane instead of Didcot as it could be classified as a local derby and would bring in fair bit of cash to the club. The location isn't the best as you can't see it from the road and if it was near the road then you might get some people tagging along to a game. Arrow
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:56 am

I personally feel the club need to get promotion next season as i think the Hellenic League looks weaker than the Combined Counties looked, and minus Hungerford, or Shortwood, assuming which one gets promoted will weaken it still next season. Colin needs to rally the troops and get them off to a good start as they can't afford to start slow again. The club have to make more of an effort to get on the radio and sell the club to the public to make a visit to Scours Lane, as many of the people i know at the mention of Reading Town FC either think i mean Reading FC, or there is a sunday league team called Reading Town. Rolling Eyes. Apart from that i think you and the Barmy Army make up for the loss of numbers, but for the future of the team, they really need to atleast double their current attendances for next season. I doubt Reading FC would play the Town in a pre-season friendly which is unfortunate, but it will probably be their current tenants at Scours Lane again in the form of a Reading YMCA XI
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  etfc Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 am

i dont think u can use reading fc as an excuse because enfield town r near both spurs arsenal barnet and we average over 200

etfc

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Reading Town support Empty embarresed

Post  etfc Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:14 am

do u not feel embaresed singing on your own or just two of u and calling yourself a barmy army
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaTYwNAQf8 now that a barmy army watch it all its a night game aswell

etfc

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:36 am

etfc wrote:do u not feel embaresed singing on your own or just two of u and calling yourself a barmy army
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaTYwNAQf8 now that a barmy army watch it all its a night game aswell

No I don't feel embarssed at all and why should I???

Last edited by RTFC Barmy Army on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  etfc Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:41 am

RTFC Barmy Army wrote:
etfc wrote:do u not feel embaresed singing on your own or just two of u and calling yourself a barmy army
because u sing on ur own dont u have any mates that can help u thers nothing wrong wiv it its good to support ur local side

etfc

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:48 am

etfc wrote:
RTFC Barmy Army wrote:
because u sing on ur own dont u have any mates that can help u thers nothing wrong wiv it its good to support ur local side

All my mates support Reading FC but I have in the past dragged them along to a few games........... and some even enjoyed it but are easily influenced by others not to go as they think Non League football is poor.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:50 am

etfc wrote:i dont think u can use reading fc as an excuse because enfield town r near both spurs arsenal barnet and we average over 200

Although to be fair, Enfield Town were born out of the demise of Enfield FC who were once one of the best non league teams in the country with winning the now Conference (twice) and FA trophy(twice), a bit like Wimbledon when they moved to Milton Keynes the fans started up a new club AFC Wimbledon who now have a large following out of the loss of the old team.
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  etfc Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:51 am

a lot of people support spurs and arsenal at etfc i prefer non league football i also support spurs but non league there is more passion do u advertise ur games in the town and wen ur mates dont go reading why dont they watch rtfc

etfc

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:01 am

I'm a great admirer of non league football and even park football when i have time....I've never actually been down to see RT play before myself, but i just feel they should be able to attract more support and are easily capable of rising the leagues with a bit more investment and support. If you take Oxford for example it's actually a smaller place of population than Reading, but it got Oxford United(conference) Oxford City fc(Southern League) and even a third team Oxford City Nomads that got a chance to be in the same league as Reading Town next season.
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:02 am

etfc wrote:a lot of people support spurs and arsenal at etfc i prefer non league football i also support spurs but non league there is more passion do u advertise ur games in the town and wen ur mates dont go reading why dont they watch rtfc

I tell them time after time Non League footie is so much better than watching Reading FC. There is so many more advantages in non league for example you can stand, it's cheap, more passion, talk to both home and away fans which I like to do and the list goes on. I agree there is more passion and that could be the fact you can't stand at most top level grounds you have to sit. I did advertise a season back by posting flyers in my local area and also went to Festival to advertise the Town.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 am

I suppose Spurs are my number one team also etfc...although i'm only an armchair supporter the majority of the time Embarassed but i've liked Spurs since i was a kid as they were a well established team in the top league with a good history. But i am not a fan of the present premiership as it's all about money and overpaid prima donna's....and because i am Reading born an bred i have a interest in the local teams. I like Reading FC to do well but i think the club has gone through such a quick transformation over recent years and have gained a lot of plastic support and an egotistical chairman who is taking the pish out of the supporters season after season, so i'm looking for a non league alternative and Reading Town are the next best thing along with some local park sides.I agree that there is more passion and more friendly feel to watching non league too, plus it's a lot cheaper Wink
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 am

Boza, you should definitely come down to the Lane sometime. I first went to a football game when I was four at Elm Park (Reading v Swindon, Archie Lovell got I hat trick I think, great times, just wish I could actually remember it Very Happy), and as such I have been raised into football through Reading F.C. and as such they'll always be my first team. The last few years, the Championship season in 05/06, the first Premiership season were fantastic. But I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying about their support. A couple of weeks ago at the QPR game for example, a number of fans were criticising just about everything a Reading player did. Yes, it wasn't a good performance, but fans surely go to support the team, I just didn't feel there was support at QPR, and I feel that has somewhat to do with the achievements of the last couple of seasons, and the fans now expecting a lot more. Now they expect Premiership football, not to be drawing 0-0 to QPR twice a season. But you're right about the Premiership. Is it really that great? Only four (maybe even three) teams can win it. And even at that there's really only ever two teams challenging for it in a single season. Aston Villa are a refreshing change this season, challenging to finish in the top four, but unfortunately they are an exception, next season I am sure it will again be Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in the top four. Now going back to Reading, if/when they get back in the Premiership, can they really hope to do much better than survive each season? Basically what Fulham have been doing for the last five years. The first Premiership season was a novelty, the first time in the top flight and as we surpassed expectations enjoyable. That's unlikely to happen again though (or at least only once every few years), future seasons in the Premiership will probably be like last season, a struggle, and only ever aiming to finish 17th. In some ways I'd prefer Reading stay in the Championship, the title race is more competitive, the football whilst perhaps a lower quality than the Premiership is I feel more enjoyable, and generally I've enjoyed going to away games at places like Barnsley and Bristol City more than places like Bolton and Sunderland.

Now back to Reading Town. I've only started going to games this season. My two main reasons for going were to support my local non-league club, and as I'd become slightly disillusioned at football in the top level. I'm not sure why, perhaps it's the what is at times over hyped media attitude to the Premiership, or the sense of distance between players and fans at the top level (it's easier for example to relate to someone who has to take time off work to play for no money than someone who's on x-thousand grand a week for example), or just the fact that at Premiership/Championship level you're treated as a consumer rather than a fan these days. The price is also a factor of course, for a Reading game it'd cost me about £20 to go, that's just for the match ticket, as I usually walk to the ground. For Reading Town I usually get the bus, making it about £9. So basically that's a saving of £11 (or three/four drinks down the pub Very Happy). Even Town away matches are cheaper than Reading home games, including train fare the away games I've been to (Bicester, Marlow United, Sandhurst) were £10-£15.

The football isn't as high quality as say Reading or Spurs, but I don't think that means it's necessarily any less entertaining. Town play good football, and they've scored a lot of goals this season. When you've got a free Saturday, then I definitely recommend you consider coming down to Scours Lane
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  BRAMLEY Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 pm

I think you've already met him Ben!!!! LOL
BRAMLEY
BRAMLEY

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Not been down to Scours Lane as yet Ben, but will certainly make a trip sooner or later. I do wish they could go up a step though as they've been at this level of football too long and i think it should be easier next season as either Hungerford, or Shortwood wont be challenging.
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  woolly Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:32 am

Boza wrote:I personally feel the club need to get promotion next season as i think the Hellenic League looks weaker than the Combined Counties looked, and minus Hungerford, or Shortwood, assuming which one gets promoted will weaken it still next season. Colin needs to rally the troops and get them off to a good start as they can't afford to start slow again. The club have to make more of an effort to get on the radio and sell the club to the public to make a visit to Scours Lane, as many of the people i know at the mention of Reading Town FC either think i mean Reading FC, or there is a sunday league team called Reading Town. Rolling Eyes. Apart from that i think you and the Barmy Army make up for the loss of numbers, but for the future of the team, they really need to atleast double their current attendances for next season. I doubt Reading FC would play the Town in a pre-season friendly which is unfortunate, but it will probably be their current tenants at Scours Lane again in the form of a Reading YMCA XI

(kidlington supporter) you say the hellenic league is going to get weaker through shortwood or hungerford getting promoted what about the teams coming down into this league.last year if it wasn't for halifax going into administration slough town would have been in the hellenic league they average attendances of 400-500 we still have the almighty kidlington and unfortunately witney, who brought about 40 fans to yarnton road when we played them.so i can understand where your coming from when we have teams like harrow hill, where there only win came against us at our ground Embarassed easy win against reading tuesday 3-0
woolly
woolly

Registration date : 2009-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post  BRAMLEY Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 am

Woolly - We'll ask Colin to post the last sentence in the Away dressing room on Tuesday night then LOL.
Next you'll be saying your fans will be outsinging the Barmy Army?
BRAMLEY
BRAMLEY

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 am

woolly wrote:
Boza wrote:I personally feel the club need to get promotion next season as i think the Hellenic League looks weaker than the Combined Counties looked, and minus Hungerford, or Shortwood, assuming which one gets promoted will weaken it still next season. Colin needs to rally the troops and get them off to a good start as they can't afford to start slow again. The club have to make more of an effort to get on the radio and sell the club to the public to make a visit to Scours Lane, as many of the people i know at the mention of Reading Town FC either think i mean Reading FC, or there is a sunday league team called Reading Town. Rolling Eyes. Apart from that i think you and the Barmy Army make up for the loss of numbers, but for the future of the team, they really need to atleast double their current attendances for next season. I doubt Reading FC would play the Town in a pre-season friendly which is unfortunate, but it will probably be their current tenants at Scours Lane again in the form of a Reading YMCA XI

(kidlington supporter) you say the hellenic league is going to get weaker through shortwood or hungerford getting promoted what about the teams coming down into this league.last year if it wasn't for halifax going into administration slough town would have been in the hellenic league they average attendances of 400-500 we still have the almighty kidlington and unfortunately witney, who brought about 40 fans to yarnton road when we played them.so i can understand where your coming from when we have teams like harrow hill, where there only win came against us at our ground Embarassed easy win against reading tuesday 3-0

You may well be right, woolly....but it depends if you see a relegated team from the southern league stronger than a team like Hungerford. North Leigh won the Hellenic Prem last year and although are not yet safe from a return back to the Hellenic they are currently above several other teams including Slough Town.

As for the game tuesday, i could either see a close win by Kidlington, or a draw, otherwise Reading will win by a few clear goals cyclops
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:03 am

How about this for support? Very Happy

Mind you, getting a load of flares and bog roll into the ground might be a bit more difficult here than it is in Greece. And they do seem to only have one song.

Looking at the Southern League One South & West table, I'd think Bracknell are the only ones right down there that would be in the Hellenic's geographical area. Slough, Abingdon and North Leigh are as well I guess, but while not safe it'd take some doing for them to finish at the bottom. Bracknell's gates don't seem to be massively high, with an average of 105. Thinking about teams who could come up into the Prem, there's Wokingham & Emmbrook. Their average is 94 which is pretty good considering the division they are in. Although I think local residents there are doing all they can to stop them getting floodlights which if I'm correct means they can't go up?
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:15 am

BenOBagels wrote:How about this for support? Very Happy

Mind you, getting a load of flares and bog roll into the ground might be a bit more difficult here than it is in Greece. And they do seem to only have one song.

Looking at the Southern League One South & West table, I'd think Bracknell are the only ones right down there that would be in the Hellenic's geographical area. Slough, Abingdon and North Leigh are as well I guess, but while not safe it'd take some doing for them to finish at the bottom. Bracknell's gates don't seem to be massively high, with an average of 105. Thinking about teams who could come up into the Prem, there's Wokingham & Emmbrook. Their average is 94 which is pretty good considering the division they are in. Although I think local residents there are doing all they can to stop them getting floodlights which if I'm correct means they can't go up?

Looking at the HL div one east Ben... i'm not sure Wokingham are going to finish in the top two anyway, as Ascot have got an 8 point lead over them and Binfield have 5 games in hand on Wokingham, and are just one point behind. I'm not sure they got floodlights either mind, but i think they are the most likely two to go up if they do have the facilities. Either way i'm sure John will appreciate both sides close proximity to travel to. Wink
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 am

Boza wrote:
Looking at the HL div one east Ben... i'm not sure Wokingham are going to finish in the top two anyway, as Ascot have got an 8 point lead over them and Binfield have 5 games in hand on Wokingham, and are just one point behind. I'm not sure they got floodlights either mind, but i think they are the most likely two to go up if they do have the facilities. Either way i'm sure John will appreciate both sides close proximity to travel to. Wink

Hmm you're right. I have to say I hadn't noticed Binfield when I'd last looked at the East table, perhaps due to the games in hand they were further down. In theory I suppose they should be able to catch Ascot, but I imagine their fixture list will be very congested, and that could well have an effect.

Wokingham don't have floodlight. Their ground isn't even enclosed. I went there a few weeks back for their game against Ascot and it's basically a football pitch in the park. They are looking to build a stand and erect floodlights though, and I think they've submitted a planning application for the floodlights to Wokingham District Council, although as I mentioned in the previous post, the local residents seem quite keen to not have floodlights. Their website has a video about the planning application actually.

Certainly does look like there could be a few more local away trips next season with the teams who look like being in the promotion race in One East, and Bracknell not looking in a good position in the Southern League all being Berkshire teams.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:46 am

I've often wondered and asked similar questions on this board myself as to why Reading Town's support isn't higher...looking at the attendances though they are fairly average for this league and apart from half a dozen teams in the Hellenic league div one east are higher than the rest. Although what baffles me is that Reading is such a big town that it attracts less than some village green sides do (although perhaps in villages theres probably not much else to do than support your local side). I guess it comes down to the success of RFC and the location of Scours Lane as it's quite a trek at least for me to get there, but if Scours Lane was in the middle of an housing estate i'm sure more people would venture down there rather than risking life and limb through Oxford Road Wink I'm sure the gate would go up if the team were a bit more ambitious and i know Colin bleats on about the team competing against teams with more money than RT but Bedfont Green are showing the way in the Combined Counties currently as they are looking good to win that and they are lucky to even get half the gates Reading Town do. Shocked

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Koshi wrote:looking at the attendances though they are fairly average for this league and apart from half a dozen teams in the Hellenic league div one east are higher than the rest. Although what baffles me is that Reading is such a big town that it attracts less than some village green sides do (although perhaps in villages theres probably not much else to do than support your local side).

That's the thing though, of all the places represented in the Hellenic League, Reading is easily the biggest giving the club a bigger population base for spectators. The numbers are there for Town to get bigger gates, it's just whether or not people are aware that there is a second Reading team. I don't think that many people in Reading do know that Reading Town are there.

Location of the ground could be a factor as well I suppose. It's not as if it's something you'd see when driving along the Oxford Road. But at the same time it's not exactly out in the sticks, or right on the edge of Reading, and although it's not exactly in the middle of Tilehurst, Tilehurst isn't an area with a low population.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

I just wonder how much support RFC detracts from watching RT though, cos even if 50 of those people decide to give up watching RFC and come to Scours Lane instead it would help a team like RT no end as there would/could be a snowball effect from it.The other thing is as you say Ben it's 'recognition' as many Reading residents have probably never heard of RTFC and you can probably understand why, as if you look in the Evening Post on any given day, where do you find match reports about RT? You will find the complete back page devoted to RFC plus several other pages on them in the middle, but RT's news will be mixed in with all the other local football news, so in theory they are given about as much headlines as a Sunday park team, and unless you are interested (like me) in local non league football in general you're likely to bypass those pages completely, or at least think RT are just another park side.The team really need to do something special to grab the headlines and make the front or back page and i can only see that happening by promotion to the Southern League, or a great cup run in the FA Cup etc. As for the location of Scours Lane i'm not sure how much of a factor it is about support as it's tucked away a bit and i don't get down that side of the town very much, are there signs directing to Scours Lane from the main road so people know there is a football ground there? If RT were to play at Palmer Park for example i don't know if the gates would improve but Palmer Park is immediately recognizable from the main road plus there are many houses nearby where people can walk to the ground quite easily.
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next