Reading Town Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Town 0-1 Highworth Town

+2
Reading Fan Dan
Koshi
6 posters

Go down

Reading Town 0-1 Highworth Town Empty Reading Town 0-1 Highworth Town

Post  Koshi Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:05 am

A game RT cannot afford to lose against a team they stuffed on Boxing day 4-2 away from home....will they find their shooting boots? will they play G Lewis using walking sticks? Can they loan Mitchell Bryant from RFC who smashed in 6 goals for Basingstoke Town last saturday? will RT do better against a team finishing with 11 men rather than 10? lets bl00dy hope so.

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Reading Town 0-1 Highworth Town Empty Re: Reading Town 0-1 Highworth Town

Post  Reading Fan Dan Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am

Hoping for a big home win as I make my debut at the Lane! Looking very much forward to it. Will the remaining RTFC scarves be available to purchase?

Reading Fan Dan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-04

http://bandwagonintown.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 am

Yeah, they should be. Just ask in the bar about them.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:52 am

Reading Fan Dan wrote:Hoping for a big home win as I make my debut at the Lane! Looking very much forward to it. Will the remaining RTFC scarves be available to purchase?

I might not be right but I thought all the scarves had been sold.....but as Ben said ask at the bar they will be able to tell you.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  sausage than a egg Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:08 am

THE SAUSAGE THAN A EGG IS OFF TO WATCH SHRIV V HIGHWORTH TONIGHT LOL
sausage than a egg
sausage than a egg

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  sausage than a egg Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am

JUST GOT BACK FROM SHRIV V HIGHWORTH 0-0,HIGHWORTH MISSED A 91MIN PEN HITTING THE POST

GOOD GAME FOR A 0-0,3 POINTS FOR THE TOWN SAT
sausage than a egg
sausage than a egg

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:33 pm

What are your pre-match routines when Town are playing at the Lane? Myself a few others intend to have a few beers in the Nag's Head on Russell Street prior to getting a 17 bus to the ground. Will probably arrive just before the 3pm kick-off. Do most regulars park up at the ground and have a beer in the clubhouse or is their usually a meet up at a pub down the Oxford Road? Would be interesting to know thats all!

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 pm

I'll probably have a few pints before i get to the ground too then continue with one or two at the clubhouse before the match kicks off, or at HT....apparently the pints in the clubhouse are fairly reasonable prices £2 a pint?

Also, Koshi will be riding down on his bike, so i hope there is a bike shed or somewhere to chain the bike to?

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:05 am

Reading Fan Dan wrote:What are your pre-match routines when Town are playing at the Lane? Myself a few others intend to have a few beers in the Nag's Head on Russell Street prior to getting a 17 bus to the ground. Will probably arrive just before the 3pm kick-off. Do most regulars park up at the ground and have a beer in the clubhouse or is their usually a meet up at a pub down the Oxford Road? Would be interesting to know thats all!

Yes most people park up at the ground and they usually meet in the clubhouse for a drink or have a chat. I am not sure if any fans go to pubs down the Oxford Road but the nearest one to Scours Lane is The Restoration. Koshi there are places to chain your bike upto. I hope that helps guys!!
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:41 am

Thanks John!

Just a couple more questions

How long before KO can you start going into the ground?

For away matches are there any drivers willing to take passengers for a share of the petrol cost?

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:04 am

Reading Fan Dan wrote:What are your pre-match routines when Town are playing at the Lane? Myself a few others intend to have a few beers in the Nag's Head on Russell Street prior to getting a 17 bus to the ground. Will probably arrive just before the 3pm kick-off. Do most regulars park up at the ground and have a beer in the clubhouse or is their usually a meet up at a pub down the Oxford Road? Would be interesting to know thats all!

I usually cycle myself, so usually just go straight to the ground, but my bike's broken at the moment so if I don't get it fixed by Saturday it'll be the bus, so might pop into the Nag's.

After the game most people either go home or into the clubhouse. Imo, the Nag's is probably the nearest decent pub to the Lane, though admittedly I don't know Tilehurst and west Reading well so there could be decent ones nearer that I'm unaware of. John's already mentioned the Restoration isn't too far away (never been to it myself mind, nor heard much about it so no idea what it's like). Pond House going along the Oxford Road towards town also isn't too far away, though again never been, so don't know much about it.

Koshi wrote:How long before KO can you start going into the ground?

No idea exactly, but I'm guessing as long as you don't turn up really early you should be able to get it. John possibly knows, he always gets there way before me. :p

And to expand on John's answer about bikes, you can either lock it up to the fence in the car park, or ask to bring it inside the ground and I imagine they'll be okay with that. Me and John tend to lock ours up to the poles outside the club house (you'll know what I mean when you see them, or John's bike locked to one if he's already there).

Beers in the clubhouse are £3 at the moment (or they're charging me more than everyone else!), they were £2 for a period at the start of the season though. Off the top of my head the choices are Carlsberg, Guinness, Tetleys, possibly a cider, and a few bottles. Sure I've forgotten something, there's definitely more than four taps, though a few are taken up by Carlsberg and Carlsberg extra cold.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:19 am

BenOBagels wrote:I usually cycle myself, so usually just go straight to the ground, but my bike's broken at the moment so if I don't get it fixed by Saturday it'll be the bus, so might pop into the Nag's.

After the game most people either go home or into the clubhouse. Imo, the Nag's is probably the nearest decent pub to the Lane, though admittedly I don't know Tilehurst and west Reading well so there could be decent ones nearer that I'm unaware of. John's already mentioned the Restoration isn't too far away (never been to it myself mind, nor heard much about it so no idea what it's like). Pond House going along the Oxford Road towards town also isn't too far away, though again never been, so don't know much about it.

Koshi wrote:How long before KO can you start going into the ground?

BenOBagels wrote:No idea exactly, but I'm guessing as long as you don't turn up really early you should be able to get it. John possibly knows, he always gets there way before me. :p

BenOBagels wrote:Beers in the clubhouse are £3 at the moment (or they're charging me more than everyone else!), they were £2 for a period at the start of the season though. Off the top of my head the choices are Carlsberg, Guinness, Tetleys, possibly a cider, and a few bottles. Sure I've forgotten something, there's definitely more than four taps, though a few are taken up by Carlsberg and Carlsberg extra cold.

I am not to sure what The Restoration is like but a few months back it was annouced it was under new managment by having big banner outside, so no harm in trying whats its' like and it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the ground from there. I usually get to Scours Lane between 1:50pm-2:15pm and usually someones on the gate, if you get there really early like 12:30pm or 1pm then there might not be anyone there. Lastly if you fancy a large glass of coke it's £2!!!
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sausage than a egg Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:39 am

If its, " The Restoration" of old, if you do go in,be warned!!!!

The Albion!! so so!!

Sizzlers(norcot road) not bad at all!!

The Pond House is the best bet!!
sausage than a egg
sausage than a egg

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

No response from the game as yet i see? are you all as shellshocked as me at another defeat? WTF is going on down the Lane at the moment.... is all the talk of ground grading and promotion getting to some of the players, or are the team missing G Lewis more than we think? With a couple of the promotion rivals slipping up there was a chance to make up for last weeks mishap against Ardley but instead RT are left with Almondsbury breathing down their necks with a convincing 7-0 demolition of Marlow.

I just feel sorry for Dan on his debut visit and the other 92 poor souls that had to watch another defeat. This makes next saturdays game against Witney an absolute must win or the rot may well set in.

Koshi

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Koshi wrote:No response from the game as yet i see? are you all as shellshocked as me at another defeat? WTF is going on down the Lane at the moment.... is all the talk of ground grading and promotion getting to some of the players, or are the team missing G Lewis more than we think? With a couple of the promotion rivals slipping up there was a chance to make up for last weeks mishap against Ardley but instead RT are left with Almondsbury breathing down their necks with a convincing 7-0 demolition of Marlow.

I just feel sorry for Dan on his debut visit and the other 92 poor souls that had to watch another defeat. This makes next saturdays game against Witney an absolute must win or the rot may well set in.

I would have posted earlier but was at the quiz night and didn't get back until late, so left until the morning to do so.

1st Half and not many chances for either side so both keepers didn't have much work to do. Second half and the Town pressed for the goal with several corner kicks and balls going into the box, which saw shots go wide or the keeper make a save. Highworth went down the other end and scored to make it 1-0 with about 20 minutes to go. The Reading boys continued to press right up and till the last minute but the score stayed the same and Highworth went away with 3 points.

Dan would you be good to hear from you regarding the what you thought of the ground (is it as you expected) and atmosphere etc.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BRAMLEY Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:36 pm

A report from grumpydwarf from the Tony Kempsters Forum.

HELLENIC PREMIER

READING TOWN 0 HIGHWORTH 1

Attendance-91 (h/c) Admission £6-with programme Catering-hot drinks and rolls

In the company of Villan ticked off a ground that had been on my to do list for a few years; the pitch was very claggy and certainly did not help the flow of the game; there was cover behind the goal where the Reading 4 sang their hearts out throughout the game; Reading are doing their best to blow promotion to the Zamaretto League having had a 15 point lead at one stage, now wittled down to 7 before today`s defeat; and it is difficult to imagine the home team as potential champions; both sides struggles to come to terms with the conditions and it was a largely undistinguished game settled by a headed goal early in the second half; to gain promotion the homesters have to put 100 seats behind the goal-put in extra toilets and turnstiles; is it worth it ??? however a few good pubs ticked and a good day out; thanks to Villan for driving and his convivial company.

new grounds 2009/10-35
last new ground- 19/02/10-Hellenic Premier
READING TOWN 0 HIGHWORTH 1
next new ground-26/02/10-too early to say!!
BRAMLEY
BRAMLEY

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

Firstly I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to the Lane this saturday. I arrived just in time to see the two teams take to the pitch for the start of the game, having shared a few pints with my party of four in the Nag's Head before the game. Despite receiving a few curious looks from a band of regulars that was a bit intimidating, we found a space to stand on the half-way line. My intial impression of Scours Lane was that there is plenty of scope to improve the facilities in the future, with plenty of land to utilise. Do the club actually own the site, or is it rented from the council or a private landlord?

I was pleased to see that the ground is generally kept to a tidy standard and the seated stand and covered standing area particularly impressedme. The changing rooms and player's facilties looked to be spacious and adequate, however I would say that the dugouts looked very scruffy and need a bit of TLC. We enjoyed a beer in the club house and felt most welcome, I even purchased a scarf to help blend in!

On to the match I was rather dissapointed with the standard of play of both sides, especially Town as they have promotion aspirations. However I'm sure this was largely due to the pitch looking heavy and bumpy after the heavy downfalls, certainly not conducive to good football. I'm sure Town try to better football than this most weeks, however I must say I thought the Highworth back-line looked strong and well rehearsed. Town will be dissapointed to conceed a goal from a set play and must feel hard done by having had what appeared a blatant penalty, turned by.

I will certainly be back soon to cheer on Town and look very much forward to it!

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down