Reading Town Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Town support

+3
etfc
RTFC Barmy Army
Koshi No2
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Reading Town support - Page 2 Empty Re: Reading Town support

Post  Koshi Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Boza wrote:I just wonder how much support RFC detracts from watching RT though, cos even if 50 of those people decide to give up watching RFC and come to Scours Lane instead it would help a team like RT no end as there would/could be a snowball effect from it.The other thing is as you say Ben it's 'recognition' as many Reading residents have probably never heard of RTFC and you can probably understand why, as if you look in the Evening Post on any given day, where do you find match reports about RT? You will find the complete back page devoted to RFC plus several other pages on them in the middle, but RT's news will be mixed in with all the other local football news, so in theory they are given about as much headlines as a Sunday park team, and unless you are interested (like me) in local non league football in general you're likely to bypass those pages completely, or at least think RT are just another park side.The team really need to do something special to grab the headlines and make the front or back page and i can only see that happening by promotion to the Southern League, or a great cup run in the FA Cup etc. As for the location of Scours Lane i'm not sure how much of a factor it is about support as it's tucked away a bit and i don't get down that side of the town very much, are there signs directing to Scours Lane from the main road so people know there is a football ground there? If RT were to play at Palmer Park for example i don't know if the gates would improve but Palmer Park is immediately recognizable from the main road plus there are many houses nearby where people can walk to the ground quite easily.

You might have hit the nail on the head there tbh....as i sometimes watch the Tavern play over the Whitley Rec and i used to watch South Reading at Rabsons Rec. I always used to check the other results via the Evening Post, and it's there that i learned about Reading Town... because what you got to Remember also that up until a few years ago, Reading Town had their reserves playing in the Reading League, so some people may think they are still a park side, but as we know the Town are two levels up from the Reading Senior division. Wink So keep spreading the word guys and people might finally see they are getting mugged off each week keeping the Madman in statues and Bentley's. Mad

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:07 am

Koshi wrote:
Boza wrote:I just wonder how much support RFC detracts from watching RT though, cos even if 50 of those people decide to give up watching RFC and come to Scours Lane instead it would help a team like RT no end as there would/could be a snowball effect from it.The other thing is as you say Ben it's 'recognition' as many Reading residents have probably never heard of RTFC and you can probably understand why, as if you look in the Evening Post on any given day, where do you find match reports about RT? You will find the complete back page devoted to RFC plus several other pages on them in the middle, but RT's news will be mixed in with all the other local football news, so in theory they are given about as much headlines as a Sunday park team, and unless you are interested (like me) in local non league football in general you're likely to bypass those pages completely, or at least think RT are just another park side.The team really need to do something special to grab the headlines and make the front or back page and i can only see that happening by promotion to the Southern League, or a great cup run in the FA Cup etc. As for the location of Scours Lane i'm not sure how much of a factor it is about support as it's tucked away a bit and i don't get down that side of the town very much, are there signs directing to Scours Lane from the main road so people know there is a football ground there? If RT were to play at Palmer Park for example i don't know if the gates would improve but Palmer Park is immediately recognizable from the main road plus there are many houses nearby where people can walk to the ground quite easily.

You might have hit the nail on the head there tbh....as i sometimes watch the Tavern play over the Whitley Rec and i used to watch South Reading at Rabsons Rec. I always used to check the other results via the Evening Post, and it's there that i learned about Reading Town... because what you got to Remember also that up until a few years ago, Reading Town had their reserves playing in the Reading League, so some people may think they are still a park side, but as we know the Town are two levels up from the Reading Senior division. Wink So keep spreading the word guys and people might finally see they are getting mugged off each week keeping the Madman in statues and Bentley's. Mad

A lot people probably don't know that Reading have a 2nd team. I think if we had a pre-season game against Reading FC Res then that it in it's self would let people know where the Town play their home games. It would be great to go on a FA Cup run as that brings more money into the club and also the chance to pull in three figure crowds. The location isn't the best as you can't see it from the road and I don't think there are any signs on the roundabout saying Reading Town FC. Palmer Park has a running track around the pitch and also only has one stand which is all seated.
RTFC Barmy Army
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 am

RTFC Barmy Army wrote:
Koshi wrote:

A lot people probably don't know that Reading have a 2nd team. I think if we had a pre-season game against Reading FC Res then that it in it's self would let people know where the Town play their home games. It would be great to go on a FA Cup run as that brings more money into the club and also the chance to pull in three figure crowds. The location isn't the best as you can't see it from the road and I don't think there are any signs on the roundabout saying Reading Town FC. Palmer Park has a running track around the pitch and also only has one stand which is all seated.

Well if there are no signs pointing out Scours Lane the home of RTFC and no fliers taped to a lampost or sign showing what the next fixture is, shouldn't the bl00dy club be addressing that? Rolling Eyes
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  BenOBagels Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 pm

A next fixture type sign or board at the top of Scours Lane (this sort of thing) would obviously spread the word a bit.

But it's not just something that can be stuck up overnight. You'd need to submit an application to the council for planning permission, amongst other things.
BenOBagels
BenOBagels

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi No2 Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Can we assume the club have or are taken steps to apply for this then?
Koshi No2
Koshi No2

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 am

Boza wrote:Can we assume the club have or are taken steps to apply for this then?

Boza, Reading Town have been at Scours Lane and at this level of football since some of it's supporters were still wearing nappies. If there is not already a signpost showing the way to RTFC, and some kind of advertising board showing the next fixture then one can only assume that

A. They've applied for this before and failed.
B. Are not willing/can't afford any the cost of this.
C. Are in the process to applying for it.
D. Just haven't thought of it before.

Personally, i think it would bring a more professional feel to the club and maybe even trying to stick a sign somewhere near the the town center, say where Oxford Road meets Broad Street, pointing the way might help too, as Scours Lane is off the beaten track somewhat for most of the towns residents.

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2